Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Are You Kidding Me?

After one week of dreamy weather in Phoenix the rain caught up with us. Thursday of last week the clouds rolled in and the rain started. It was cute at first, a sort of subtle reminder of home in the northwest. I smiled and welcomed it because, after all, it was still 70 degrees out. It reminded me of the frequent warm rain in Maui or Kauai. Friday was a different story. Not cute at all. 42 degrees and dumping rain just like Washington. I didn't even have a tan yet! The sun came back out in Phoenix and the temperature will get back up to the 80's this week but my story gets more ridiculous.
     I flew back to Seattle this morning. No, I'm not kidding. I have an interview tomorrow morning in Mount Vernon for a job that is just too good to ignore. Not just an interview but a second interview (I squeezed the first one in for good measure before I left). The company even offered to pay for half my flight back.
     Eli and Jonah dropped me off at Sky Harbor Airport at 6:30 this morning. I had some trouble checking in because, out of habit, I had booked my flight in reverse (SEA-PHX-SEA). I slapped my hand to my forehead as I have done more times than I care to admit when knowing it was all my mistake. As the reservation agent scrambled to get me new tickets for comparable times, fares, etc. I thought, "This is a sign. I'm not getting on this flight. I can't pay double and that's that. I gave it my best shot. I'm calling Eli and telling him to come back and get me and I'm not going to the second interview". This miracle woman from Southwest did it! She got me going opposite directions for the same price at relatively the same times! I reluctantly praised her, took my boarding pass and ran for the gate because she informed me I would be leaving a 35 minutes sooner than I had planned.
     The flight was alright but I am developing a slight phobia issue with tight spaces, long lines and car rides. I used my iPod for therapy. Within 10 minutes of getting off the plane I ran into my dear friend and fellow Saturday Saints bandmate, Curt Small. We both gave each other the "What the heck" look. I only had time for a hug since my bestie, Kaye, was circling outside to avoid parking and we were timing it via cell phone conversation. The interception was perfectly executed!
     So I'm "home" now and further away from my boys than I've ever been. We all got a little choked up saying goodbye. Eli and I have only spent 3 nights apart in 7 years and they weren't consecutive. Not only that but we literally haven't been out of each others sight in 2 weeks. This will be a challenge but a good one. ;o)
     I spoke to him a while ago and he told me he finally landed an interview in Mesa. Of course he did. As soon as I get on a plane and he has no sitter. It's a bit like a race now. If he gets the job there then that's where we live. If I get the job here then this is where we live.
     So interview tomorrow. Wish me luck...I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment